Running with Scissors

Welcome to my corner of the blogosphere. This is where I will be posting my thoughts on various aspects of Christianity. Think of this as a Q&A session for Christians. Stick around this could get interesting.

Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

There's Something Missing in Matthew!

In my reading of the Bible I noticed an omission between my bible translations when it came to Matthew 6:13. The NIV has it as reading: "And lead us not into tempation, but deliver us from the evil one." The NIV has a footnote at the bottom of the page that says "some late manuscripts "one, for yours is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever. Amen."

My question is why is this part of the verse not included in the text of the passage, but as a footnote, or in some cases omitted altogether?

Versions Where It Is Omitted Completely

American Standard Version

English Standard Version

New International Version

Douay-Rheims

Versions Where It Is Included As A Footnote

New American Standard

New Living Translation

New Revised Standard Version

Good News Translation

Versions That Contain The Full Verse

New King James Version

King James Version

The Evidence Bible

Holman Christian Standard

Third Millennium Bible

4 Comments:

Blogger Ninjanun said...

Hey Zec--Usually, it's because the hermeneutical evidence suggests that the passage was not in the original manuscripts, but was added later. This doesn't necessarily mean that the text is false or was added maliciously, but it is generally accepted among contemporary scholars and translaters that ancient scribes often added "notes" which later scribes added right into the text, etc. Or perhaps scribes added things that were already in the vernacular, but not written into the text. At any rate, the NIV and others where it's listed as a footnote is the translaters' attempt to be faithful to the original manuscript, while allowing for the possibility of human error in their own estimation of whether or not it actually belongs in the text.

Hope that helps!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Nellie Bellie said...

My husband is reading up on the KJV and how some people believe that it is the only true translation. I will recommend that he reads this post. I found that there are other verses that are like this as well, written one way in the KJV and then parts ommitted or written differently in other versions. Some are examples from Matt 9:13, LK 4:8, Col 1:14, Acts 8:37, 1 Tim 3:16, LK4:4 Thanks

12:28 PM  
Blogger Zecryphon said...

It does kinda give fuel to the argument that is often made about the bible not being reliable because of mistranslations and omissions on the part of the translators. Ya know, if part of that verse is missing how do we know all the verses aren't missing parts? I hear this all the time, now. LOL

I try and stick to the NASB as I find it to be the most literal translation. I'm considering an Amplified Bible though and I love my Thompson's Chain Reference NIV, should've been NASB though. LOL What did I know? That was the first translation I read when I became a born again, it has sentimental value to me. :-)

10:38 PM  
Blogger Ninjanun said...

Another book to look into is Misquoting Jesus, The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart Ehrman.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home